Jen at Conversion Diary
Reasons to Hope
1. It's been a pretty good year, all things considered. I thought this was beautiful... and true. Sure, there's some awful crap going on in the world today, but at the end of the day, we're still profoundly blessed to live as free men and women in the greatest nation on earth, where our freedoms far outpace those of most of our brothers and sisters elsewhere around the globe.
2. It's nearly the 4th and final Sunday of Advent. That means we are finally going to put the ornaments on my poor, dying Christmas tree which is now sporting about the same number of needles on its branches as my vacuum is holding in its dump tank (for lack of an official descriptor). My dear husband and I came to a liturgical compromise of sorts whereby I was permitted to select our (live!) Christmas tree on the first Sunday of Advent, though we've been decorating it in stages. So last Sunday was garland, the one before that was lights, and we've finally arrived at ornaments, though the aridity of our apartment has all but strangled the life from our poor, mostly-naked evergreen. (Note: I realize Christmas trees are non-liturgical entities, and my husband is really not the hard ass this makes him out to be. Our negotiations over Advent/Christmas decor and protocol have actually been nothing short of hilarious...)
3. My little brother is home from college for the month and he waits tables at a karaoke bar. They have Journey's entire discography in their system. My high school babysitte... ahem, sisters are also on Christmas break. Need I say more?
4. It snowed last night in Denver! Granted, it looked like fake fluff from the set of the Full House Christmas special and it melted by 10 am, but it was there! I saw it!
5. I have a new job. A wonderful, incredibly providential and exciting new job, which I'll share more about after the New Year.
6. My baby sleeps through. the. night. He is 11 weeks old and he sleeps through the night. Praise the living God for my dear friends Brigette and Eliz who pointed me toward Babywise while Joseph was still just a twinkle in our eyes. It hasn't always been easy, but man oh man has it been worth it.
7. I wake up to this face every morning.